And you thought tomatoes could only be used in salads or for salsa? My friend, remember, tomato, is, after all, a fruit!! So it’s summer and loads of tomatoes are up on sale and what do plan on doing with them other than pasta sauce??
I have your answer; bake them up, as a cake!! Let me tell you how with these four easy recipes.
1.GREEN TOMATO CAKE:
A spice type, savory cake to enjoy with your evening tea.
Ingredients: 2 cups white sugar, two eggs,2 cups all-purpose flour, t teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda, ‘ tsp salt, ‘ cup each of raisins and chopped walnuts
- Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, let it stand for ten mins, rinse in a colander.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish. Take some butter, and add eggs and sugar beat until creamy.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix well. Add drained tomatoes and mix well.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
2.TOMATO SOUP CAKE:
Yup tomato soup it is, people won’t ever guess what went in there!
Ingredients: 1 can of condensed tomato soup, one tsp. Each of ground cinnamon and baking soda, one egg, 1 cup each of sugar and raisins, 1/3 cup butter, ‘ tsp. Ground cloves, 1 ‘ cup self-rising flour, ‘ tsp salt.
- Combine the tomato soup and soda in a bowl, let it stand.
- Cream together sugar, egg, butter, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix in tomato soup and soda mixture, and then flour.
- Stir in the raisins, and pour the batter into a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until done.
Cool, the cake, and top with cream cheese icing.
Recommended Appliance – Empire Red Kitchenaid 600 Professional
3.BLACK MAGIC TOMATO CAKE:
I don’t know if the word moist like a sponge is enough for this one!!05
Ingredients: 1 ‘ cup flour, 2 cup flour, ‘ cup cocoa, 2 tsp baking powder, one tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 2 eggs, 1 can of condensed tomato soup, 1 cup buttermilk, ‘ cup oil, 2 tsp vanilla essence.
A kids’ treat
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add to the dry mix the eggs, tomato soup, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat till all is moist and well blended. About 5 minutes total. A good way to do is using a proper appliance. I’d recommend ou read ShiningKitchen’s Buyer’s guide to stand mixers before making a buying decision.
- Pour into a greased dish of about 9x 13 inch and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.
4.WHISKEY TOMATO CAKE:
Much like rum and raisin cake here is a variation with whiskey and tomatoes!!
Ingredients: ‘ cup raisins, ‘ cup whiskey, 1 cup all-purpose flour, I cup whole wheat flour,2 tsp baking powder, 1 ‘ tsp baking powder, ‘ tsp salt, 1 cup sugar, two tsp vanilla essence, 2/3 cup applesauce,2 cups chopped green tomatoes, ‘ cups walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the raisins in a cup with the 1/4 cup of whiskey to plump them up.In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients, then add in the wet ingredients.
- Whisk up the eggs and other wet ingredients together.
- Add the raisins & whiskey, green tomatoes, and walnuts and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
So these were our top four tomato cake recipes, and we hope you try them out.